Sunday, August 1, 2010

Hutch redo

This one has been a long time coming. First, in that I have been searching for the perfect hutch for my dining room for about 5 years. Second in that, when finally being gifted my grandma's old hutch from my Auntie Kym, it took me over a month to complete (ahem, OK, it is only 99% done) the transformation it required to live in our crazy house.

As usual, I neglected to take before pics. This picture was the closest "before" image I could find out in cyberspace that looked like my hutch. Since this baby is 2 years older than I am.... there were not many floating around. So glance quickly at this one (avoiding the hideous wallpaper that my grandma may also have had) and you'll get the general idea of what my new hutch looked like.


So, picture it then.... maple-brown, country-esque, old hutch.... then add a few coats of primer, some fire engine red spray paint (about 13 cans) and some glaze/black paint mixed together and rubbed on to "age" it. Voila - our new hutch.



Ahem... don't look too close.... I have not yet scraped the paint off the glass panes. If I had waited to post it until that was done it would have been snowing before I could share :)

A big closer...but still had to detour around the dining room table. Sorry


Did I mention all the folks that contributed to this transformation? I guess you gotta go back to the G'ma and pa for the original purchase of quality furniture - Thanks GG! And of course to my Auntie Kym... who knows I'm not one to turn down free furniture. Thanks for keeping it pristine for the past few years! A big old Thanks to Dave, my ever faithful hauling man. Your doubting looks only fire my need to prove to you vintage can be gorgeous. And not to forget my painters (and paint purchasers) - Nancy and Jake - without who this month long project would have extended into the 1/2 year project or longer. Thanks y'all!

I hope to share cabin remodel pictures soon.... maybe Mom, er, Gladys, could take some pictures for me this week? Hint hint....

5 comments:

Thudin said...

Looks nice Emily - I will take my trusty camera next door and snap away - stay tuned!
Mom:0

Brooke said...

tempting tempting... I need a scorch of color in my upstairs... maybe my mini-hutch is calling for a black-stained fire engine YELLOW hutch?!? yes/no?

Hey Thudin... is that Em's cabin newly featured on your flickrstream? I am thinking so... I spotted some vintagey sheets and an embroidery hoop wall hanging with what appears to be some sort of tree... Looks so grown up and cutesy = all of it! Can't wait for a new blog post all about it. Hint Hint Em.

Good work on the photos mamathudin.

Anonymous said...

I about fell out of my chair. That is a Tell City Chair Company hutch.
They are in very high demand and would've probably brought over a thousand dollars. B.

FREELANCER said...

yap i agree it looks nice.....

NEEDLEWINGS said...

I need a furniture make over too! Love what you have done. Sure makes it more likeable.