Saturday, April 17, 2010

selfish sewing - PJ pants

This starts out as a selfless story, it really does. A friend of mine is diabetic and has a insulin pump. She had requested a pair of pj pants with a pocket up front and center, so that her pump doesn't flail around during the night as she sleeps. Easy, breezy, right? So while making Dave's birthday pj pants, I cut out fabric, er, thrifted sheets, to make a pair for her, and a coordinating pocket as well. This is where the selfish part starts. I then quickly cut out myself a pair from another thrifted sheet. Who can't use another pair of pjs? I basically live in these year round. I further convinced myself these were necessary by thinking about how I was repurposing fabric and not destroying the planet in the making of these pants. I get elaborate in ways to alleviate my guilt.

I decided to make a pocket on my pair too, edged it in thrifted lace,and placed it on the leg seam. These are the Pajamas for Everyone patter from Heather Ross's Weekend Sewing book. I serged my seams, and cut about 6" off the bottom, as these come out long, and I am not. They are super comfy and have already become a personal favorite.

See the cute pocket? I haven't decided what will go in it yet, but it is fun.

So where is my friend's pair, I am sure you are thinking? Well, not quite done yet. I'm waiting to hear back what her inseam is so I know how long to make them. That may be why I feel especially selfish. I've worn mine a few nights already and hers are still in the sewing pile. In case she stops by to visit the blog, I promise they are almost done Becky - just let me know how long to make them!

3 comments:

kendra said...

they are totally cute on you!

tagskie said...

Nice blog you got here... Just droppin' by to say hi! http://www.arts-and-entertainment.info

Ms. Givens said...

Those are really cute. I'd put a tissue in the pocket that would end up shredded in the dryer. :)