Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Repurposed T-Shirt Dresses for Q

A long while back, (early November) my friend Shari pointed me to the Sienna Dress pattern on the Lil Boo Blue blog. I had to agree with her, it is adorable. I almost immediately bought the pattern and made up a version for Rowan.  Only a mere 5 months later, I finally got around to making a few for Shari's little Miss Q.  While I liked making Rowan's, making them in a mini little size is so much faster and easier.  Plus I learned from the first go around - I starched the heck out of the t-shirts prior to cutting and sewing.  They were much more even, matched up perfectly and were easier to sew.  My serger is feeling icky, so these were made with no seam finishing.  Knit doesn't really need it, and I was busy concentrating more on the cuteness factor.  I used some of Q's shirts, as well as her mom's, and a few from our stash here. Hopefully the wee one will think they are as cute as I do!

First up is Love Bird pink one. The applique was from one of Miss Q's shirts, and too stinkin adorable not to use.  The red/orange shirt and the strawberry ones are from her outgrown clothes as well. 

I was able to reuse the tag from the love bird shirt to decorate it a bit.


The other version is a bit more "fall-esque", and I love it.  For reals, I think I would wear it if I could build it in my own size.  The serged edged shirt is so fun - and I love these colors together. 


I added a reverse applique "Q" on here, and reused a tag from a stash shirt to decorate it a bit more.


I packaged these up to bring to Shari, and then decided to use a bit more of the scraps for matching hair accessories.  (I used some more scraps a little later too, but that is a post for another day :))


The leftover black ruffle is attached to a rubber band with a button, and the headband is a piece of the smocking from the strawberry shirt. Can't wait to see photos of Miss Q in her finery :) 

1 comment:

Thudin said...

Very cute! I agree, the second one, in an adult size would be great -