Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dinoland Suitcase

After seeing the Dinoland Suitcase entry to So You Think Your Crafty last week, Griffin requested one of his own. He did not want to wait and see if Kalleen won and we could use a real tutorial (which she later did, win, that is, and well deservedly ), he demanded we start IMMEDIATELY. I grabbed an old suitcase and few cans of spray foam insulation and started to craft. After 2 days of waiting for the foam mountains to dry, Kalleen won and posted her tutorial. That was when I realized she had actual structure under her foam. OHHHHHHH.... that sure is smart :) With this in mind, I was able to use the foam cap on the top of my volcano hill and finally get it to hold a peak. We deviated a bit more from the tutorial by using some plastic primer since I need the paint to adhere well to this plastic suitcase. This baby is destined to be a crowd favorite. It is so dang cute.


After a night of waiting for the brown background paint to dry, we finally painted the details today (grass, lake, volcano, etc), added a layer of sealer and glued in the plants. Griffin requested a waterfall, as well as a jungle. It is just waiting to be fully dry - but we could not resist posting about it now.

I have no shots of it closed up, since the paint is a bit tacky still here, but it does close up, storing a ton of dinos inside. My paint job is not as nice as the inspiration, but it sure makes the 5 year old happy :)

Griffin is lining up the critters, waiting for the sealer to dry before they can visit their new home. He is bouncing off the walls he is so excited.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

awesome!

Kalleen said...

Good job, I really like what you've done. Thanks so much for sharing. Can I maybe show yours with a link next week.
Kalleen

Stacy said...

That is really cool! It has me thinking about attempting to make a Monster Truck suitcase...

nzgreenbuttons said...

what a great idea! it looks so cool, you've done a great job. Thanks for sharing, I think I might have a go at one once I find a suitable suitcase.