Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Thrifty Wednesday

It seems I should have a reoccurring theme post of Thrifty Mondays and/or Wednesdays. Since Griffin goes to pre-school these days, we have the mornings to go on our thrift store adventures. I'm not (too) ashamed to admit he is easily convinced to behave with a small bribe of a dinosaur book. Hey, it is a book, not toys or candy! While I feel I may be spending more on thrifting, my overall budget is soundly in the black. I don't think I've bought any new NEW clothes for the beasties since school started in September because I've been able to find clothes for the here and there, picking things up bit by bit...sometimes hitting the mother load, other times walking out with nothing. I am thrilled with how much repurposing and recycling we've done the past few months. Yes - make fun of the (wanna be) green girl, but I'm trying to not buy things we don't need, and for what we do, to get as much of it second hand as possible. You would not believe (unless you are a thrift store junkie, like me) the treasures you can find. For reals.

Anyhoo...I'm getting close to the deadline of the Vintage Swap, so I wanted to do one quick run today to find a few more things for my partner. Well, it is not THAT close to the deadline of March 1st, but my partner is in New Zealand, and I'm guessing it may take a while for the package to ship.

See all the thrifted goodness we found? The suitcase, the lamp, all the sheets, the pillowcases- Hooray! Selfishly, most of the things are for me, er, us, but some my be swapping material. Maybe :) Or maybe I just did not photograph the things I'll be sending off.... (tricky, oh yes I am).

Truly, I have already gone through my stash of thrifted and garage sale-ed goodness and found some lovelies to be shipped overseas. Most of the items pictured above are not going to be included, but the Swap was the stimulus for today's venture out. That is my story, anyways, and I'm sticking to it. I'll post the swap goodies AFTER my partner has received her package, which I'm shooting to have in the mail Friday.

I'll confess to one thing that most definitely will remain with me. The olive green sheet set on the left hand side - top and bottom sheets and both pillow cases - is perfect for the cabin. We have full size beds there and I don't have a stash of sheets at home in this size to borrow from. It also exactly matches these pj pants of mine- so I'll coordinate well while I sleep!

I found 5 yards of some amazing vintage ribbon - I'm sure Rowan (and maybe me as well) will sport new headbands from this very soon.


Griffin was thrilled when we found a Pottery Barn dinosaur duvet and sheets. $7 for everything - and they are in great shape. He was most happy that the dinosaurs were not "baby dinosaurs" - he hates when they have smiley faces.


I've got everything (well, not the lamp or suitcase, but everything else) in the wash - and am now being asked to read a new dinosaur book. I'm off to determine How Dinosaurs Get Well Soon. Bye Bye...

4 comments:

kendra said...

love that ribbon! too funny about the smiley dinos!

nzgreenbuttons said...

looks like a lot of fun was had hunting for all of that great booty. I love the dino sheet set. Hopefully you get my parcel soon, I sent it on monday. Here's to happy thrifting

Suzanne said...

You did good! I love thrift stores too. I can't go as often as I'd like but today I did :) I got a few little things...

Nanny Ree said...

cute ---- you did not mention the suitcase/or i did not hear you----cute...what are you going to do with the suitcase? i had to laugh really hard when i went to your picture in the jammie pants and that they match the sheets --- so a 'where's waldo' moment