Thursday, February 18, 2010

I did it again....

No, not sing another Britney song, but I made another Schoolhouse tunic. Well, another Schoolhouse Shirt. I know I just made one two posts ago, but now that I had the pattern all traced, this one was even easier-breezier than the first time. I wanted to make one more rendition in thrifted fabric before I contemplated purchasing some "real" fabric to make a nice (read: spendy) shirt. Here is Schoolhouse Tunic number 2...

I tried this one in an even lighter/flowy-er (probably not a real word, sorry) thrifted fabric than last time. It is pretty sheer, and required a tank underneath... but it still sewed together quick and easy. I don't LOVE this fabric, but it was good for a second trial, and I will wear it for certain. Well, actually I did wear it to work today, so there. It proved it's worth already. Score one for thrifted fabric that just slightly resembles the material they make hospital scrubs from.

As for modifications, this time I ended up creating a cuff-type sleeve, since I like it rolled up anyways. Obviously, I did it shirt length again. This was more due to the amount of fabric I had on hand, I rather think I'd like the dress better in this drapey-er (yes, I know, definitely not a word) material. I really REALLY wanted to add ruffles like this adorable tutorial, but when I pinned them on, I realized I'm not much of a ruffle girl. Huh, who knew? Maybe the complete lack of ruffles in my wardrobe until this point may have hinted at this, but I still found it surprising. Then I added the buttons to the placket that I had pondered last time. And, as you may notice, I removed them, as they were distracting and ugly. Last, I tried wearing it with a belt, and it looked like I was with child. Since I am not (well, not with one on the inside, just 2 on the outside), and because this was not a look I was aiming for, the belt was ditched as well. Here it is on...

A close up of the cuffed sleeve.


Griffin wanted to be part of the shoot too... he is wearing his "Daddy coat" and showing you how a T-Rex looks. Scary, huh? Luckily, my photographer Rowan is the consummate professional and not easily cowed!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

it's about time griffie's 2 fingered t-rex imitation was captured - cutie-pie! Dig the shirt as well!