Sunday, February 14, 2010

Birthday Shirt

My niece turned 11 last week. Ack - 11! How did she get so dang old? I distinctly remember (eleven years ago, I guess) calling Dave (who'd I had only been dating for 2 months or so, but I already knew was "the one") and asking him to run to my rented townhouse and grab me a change of clothes so I could stay with Brianna while she labored. Turned out I did not need a change of clothes. About 45 minutes after my sister's water broke, and 25 minutes after arriving at the hospital, Chloe Jane made her grand entrance. This may have been the first and last time Miss Dawdle Pants was in a hurry to do anything! Here she is at 2 (?) - dang cute, huh?

Trying to come up with a creative 11th birthday shirt (in the spirit of those I love on this blog) was more difficult than I imagined. Tally marks? Too many to make (i.e. I'm too lazy). Roman Numerals? "XI" looked a smidge too much like "XL" for me to put on the outside of a piece of clothes. Spelling "eleven"? Hmmm... fine, but a bit boring. Then I happened upon a fun bit of trivia. Turns out Chloe and Google are both 11 this year - Google celebrated by changing their logo to "Goog11e" for the day... with the l replaced by an 11. Aha! Worked for me...

Here is the birthday girl in her festive shirt...

Here is a close up of the applique. I printed out her name, traced it on Wonder Under, ironed it to the fabric (Tina Givens - love it), cut them out with my trusty embroidery scissors, ironed them to the shirt and then did a quick stitch right inside the letters. It should fray a bit after a washing - which she says will make it better. Huh - who knew my laziness would be to her liking?



Happy Birthday Chloe - we love ya!


1 comment:

Nanny Ree said...

oh my it is adorable ---- and chloe does look so old --- she looks like she is getting taller....