Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Woodlands Shirt

I was lucky enough to be able to "test" the Woodlands Shirt pattern from Meg from Sew Liberated a few months back. The pattern is a unisex shirt - and makes anywhere from a size 2T to a 10. How great is that? One pattern that will fit for years. And it is so versatile, I am thinking up some new ways and fabrics to use on a few more of these for both my kids. My favorite parts are the square neckline, the little pleats on the neck and the buttons - LOVE the buttons.

I decided to make Rowan a version of the shirt - in a size 7, which runs very true. I used a remnant of fabric I have had for a while now (Joann's??) and it went together like a dream. The method Meg uses to attach the arm is so much easier than others I've done - and did not require sewing in a "round". When thus then required no swearing on my part.

Rowan wearing her shirt, playing in the backyard.

She preferred wearing her shirt with a brown corduroy skirt. Adorable, if I do say so myself :)



Here is a close up of the vintage buttons we decided to use. This may be my favorite part of the pattern.

The only modifications I made to the pattern were not inlcluding the pocket (I thought this fabric was busy enough as it was) and not double sewing around the hem and sleeves. Had I realized that the double hem would be repeated in the neck, sleeves AND hem, I probaby would have done it right from the get go.


I am now thinking it may be time to try the Schoolhouse Tunic for me... I love a tunic over jeans combo.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Oh I love it. The fabric is wonderful, and your construction looks perfect. I am so excited for Meg's book to be released, and to sew up this top. Great job!

Suzanne said...

I love the buttons too! Looks like a great pattern.

... said...

that's a really cute top...great job mama!

The Vineyard Lady said...

It turned out beautifully! My patterns just arrived from Sew Liberated in the mail, and I'm going to try this one out soon. So nice to see a finished one and to hear that it was relatively easy!