In my last post I mentioned I was making a pinboard from this tutorial, right? It is done! Hooray!
I found a hideous plasticy-brassy colored, oval frame at the thrift store, but of course, did not take a picture of it to show y'all a "before" shot. To help you envision it, I'm pretty sure it was circa 1983, lots of mauve and country blue in the print that showed a cottage and a small stream. Puke. I ditched the print right away and threw a coat of plastic primer on the frame. Today, I added a coat of antique white on it with a teeny paint brush because a) it was all I could find and b) it adds more texture and brush strokes, so it looks more chunky. And for this project, chunky is good. Last, I put a piece of cardboard behind some burlap, screwed the frame back on again, and voila, pinboard is done.
I love the detail on the frame edge - almost looks like flowers.
I don't have an exact location/home for it yet, and only threw a few pics on it for blogging purposes, but I do love it. Oh, the pics of the kids are from Brooke at Tadpole Photography taken last year. I just put my order in for our new ones...can't wait to get them!
I fell upon a cashmere sweater for $2 at the thrift store. $2 people. Actually, $1.99. It was a 1/2 button down cashmere sweater from Talbots. The style was not, erm.. flattering, and the color a bit much for me to actually wear, so I knew it was going to be repurposed into something. After some googling, I attempted this hat tutorial, but the ribbing was just too short to attach well. Then I decided to use one a tiny sliver of my coveted Heather Ross Mendocino Seahorse fabric to make the band. I have been hoarding this fabric for the "perfect" project. This counts as it matched perfectly.
I left the buttons on the hat, copying the cute tutorial. I had originally thought that this could be for Rowan, but my kids have had "off the chart" head sizes from the get go, so it may have to be part of my slowly growing Christmas gift stash.