Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Quick Quilt

So very quick, and so very eco-friendly as well. I used thifted sheets and pillowcases to make a quick quilt this past weekend. I stayed around the white, yellow and green color palette...with some 1970's rust and avocado thrown in for fun. You may recognize a few of the squares from various clothing items I've made myself in the past. I may be slightly embarrassed if you catch me wearing this or this while wrapped up in my new quilt this winter! This is only my second finished quilt... and while not perfect, it will make for a few more sunny picnics this year and some cozy snuggling this winter.

The quilt squares are very large - 15 1/2" x 15 1/2"... which I used a) to best fit the organic batting (crib size) I had on hand and b) to get it done as quickly as possible. The binding is more strips of sheets and pillowcases. The back is part of one large vintage sheet. I debated doing a fun strip of color and patchwork on the back, but honestly, last time I tried it, my back got wonky and never squared up with the front again. I went for the easy route and kept the backing whole and boring. I first quilted it with a double row of stitching along all the "ditches" and wanted to be done. Then, while reading the great binding directions in my trusty Bend the Rules Sewing, I saw that Amy recommends quilting things within 4 to 6 inches to minimize the chance of the batting shifting. Her advice is golden for me, so I drew some quick diagonals with my yard stick and disappearing ink fabric pen and quilted diagonals into it as well... creating X's in each square. Nothing elaborate or fancy, but it seems to do the trick.

I sewed on the binding by hand last night while watching football with the family. My in-laws were in town on a rare visit, so I was able to gab and sew at the same time. I may have not paid all that much attention to the football game, but I did manage the much envied triple threat of chatting, sewing and drinking some vino. Heavenly.
Why the need to make such large squares and get it done so quick and dirty? I've been dreaming of a thrifted sheet picnic quilt all summer and we are getting to the end of ours now. I may have only a few more weeks where the monsters and I can lay out our new quilt in the grass or sand and enjoy the last bits of sunshine and warm weather. You can bet we'll get in as much as we possibly can before the snow falls...

2 comments:

Beatrix from Kindershop said...

I am not a quilter but in my eyes this is really a great quilt. I have some of the same sheets you used. I may just have to cut them up now and start working on my first quilt. Since it's still on my list of things to make this year...

Emily said...

Thanks Beatrix! I love how soft this is, and how easy it was to put together!