Sunday, August 16, 2009

Recent treasures

I thought I'd post a few pictures of my most recent finds from garage sales or thrift stores - or various family members! I love finding treasures in things others don't want anymore- I think it appeals partially to my desire to recycle and not generate more stuff.. and a bit to my innate "need" to shop and acquire things. Lord knows I still end up buying new enough, but I give the re-use/re-purpose movement a valiant effort.

Here is an old typewriter my Aunt Nancy and I found at a garage sale. I love the bracelets people make from the keys/letters, but can't bring myself to ruin this! I think I'll just keep it out on our buffet like this for now...

My Auntie Kym brought me this treasure - an antique portable Singer. And it works! We just need to figure out how to thread the dang thing! (Matches the typewriter too!)

This is a large, busy shot just to show the new (to me) frame around the guitar . $1 and some antique white paint to match the mantle and shutters... Dave hates it, but it makes me happy...


I did not know what this was at first, but thought it looked fun. My aunt said it is an old nut grinder... but I think instead of nuts, it will be full of thread or buttons soon.


Speaking of buttons, I picked up these buttons, jars and huge embroidery hoop while dropping stuff off at Goodwill yesterday. Defeating the purpose I know, but I like to think of it as swapping...out with the old, in with the new (to me).


Last up is one of my favorite finds lately. I found a huge stack of 5x5" fabric squares at Goodwill a few weeks back. Seriously, I bet the stack was about 9-10 inches tall and full of fun vintage prints. I have been thinking of doing some quilting, but the cutting part sounds so putsy and the precision required so daunting, I haven't gotten up the energy and/or nerve to start one. Not only do I have the cutting part done now, but I can also not wreck any of my favorite fabrics while I practice lining up the squares nicely. I am working on a lap quilt, or maybe 2 small baby quilts first off - and am only using about a 5th of the fabric! I think a tiered, patchwork, twirl skirt for Rowan may be next up with these squares.


Just thought I'd show some of my favorite finds thus far... I'm sure there will be more to come.

No comments: