Thursday, August 20, 2009

Buttercups - in triplicate

I whipped up a few Buttercup bags for a friend to offer at a silent auction tomorrow. When I couldn't find my own enlarged version of the bag (that I made this and this from), I decided to buy the one on Rae's site. Only $10, for both the small and large sizes and it also includes a commercial license to sell these guys... which is a possibility! Anyone interested in one? They go together quickly and easily and really are pretty. I made 2 in the normal "bitty" size and one in a slightly larger size. Each time I've made one of these I've changed a few things. This time I turned them at the top seam instead of inside the lining (then it closes with the top stitching) and attached the straps inside as well. I tried for some piping on one, and all of them got a vintage button of some sort as well. Of course, now I want one of these for myself. Here are all three of the bags -



Here is the first one. They all have cream colored corduroy as the lining. It helped keep them sturdy enough and I did not use any other facing.

I found the button in my thrifted vintage stash and it looks great with the Amy Butler Lotus fabric...


OK... you've seen this combination before. As you may have guessed (from this and this and this) I'm a HUGE fan of these Tina Givens fabrics...


It is probably hard to tell in these pictures, but the one with the Birdseed fabric is the enlarged one.

Here are all 3 again...


Before I could start these last night, I got a wild hair and cleaned my entire sewing hutch out. Folded all the fabric, organized the diaster pile of patterns and tutorials and even got the fuchsia thread out/off of my serger. It felt relaxing to sit down to an organized area this morning. I even found the missing twill tape I've been looking for. I was finally able to use it along with this tutorial and make up my own little labels. Amazingly easy, and they only took about 20 minutes, which included about 5 minutes where I frantically searched for my iron on printer paper. I've commissioned my little brother to come up with a label design for me to use and then I'll probably get some labels printed up professionally, but these will do for now!

4 comments:

Liberty said...

These are beautiful!! I LOVE the one with the Tina Givens fabric!

Brenda said...

They are all so beautiful. You did a great job.

Hermione J. Schwartz said...

Those bags look fantastic! I love the birds with the orange and the piping. Just gorgeous!

Emily said...

Thanks everyone! I really love Rae's pattern.