Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Teacher gifts...

It is hard to believe that Rowan will be going to her last day of school tomorrow. It seems she just started! She has grown up so much this year - it is amazing. Rowan's teacher, Mrs. Johnson, knows her stuff and I could not be happier with how much she learned this year...reading, writing, listening - all the important Kindergarten stuff! While I am a novice in all things having to do with elementary school, I do know enough to realize a teacher gift was in order. Not only did Mrs. Johnson sign on for the Every Day All Day kids, but Rowan had a fantastic experience and I know she will look back on this year with happy memories. For gratitude gifts, I opted for a tote bag and coffee cozy. I'm going out on a limb and guessing teachers haul stuff back and forth each day between home and classroom, so the tote may be practical. As for the cozy, Rowan informed me that her teacher is a coffee drinker.

For the tote, I used my old stand by tutorial from the Sew Mama Sew blog. I love this tutorial and have made many. The fabric is left over from my unfinished Weekender Bag that is patiently waiting to be sewn. Alas, that is for another day... Anyways, if you can't tell by the wallpaper here on the blog, I'm a huge fan of blue and brown together.


I used a vintage button from the stash and added Velcro to the pocket so it wouldn't gap.


The coffee cozy was made from this pattern. Fabric was all from the stash, as was the vintage button. Love this button... I have a few more and I'm fairly stingy with them...

I have to admit, I was not sure Rowan's teacher would know what it was "as is". Then, I saw on The House on Hill Row blog the idea of gifting the cozy around a paper cup, within which is a gift card, so I added a gift card to Caribou Coffee too.

I'm excited to start on some new bags this weekend. I've drafted up some pattern ideas of my own (scary!) and I'm working on an idea with Brooke... if things turn out, I'm sure I'll blog about it! To give a hint, I actually fired up the old laser jet printer today for part one.... More to come!

2 comments:

Leamonteach said...

As a teacher coming to the end of the year, I am touched to the extreme by your terrific gifts! Though I love teaching and my kids, it can be disheartening to never get a thank you even from parents for whom I've gone above and beyond, esp. since I always hear instantly when something has NOT gone well. Even a thank you NOTE can make me teary with gratitude. . . I would be prostrate with happiness were I to get a thank you like THAT--functional, fun, pretty, homemade. . . . You're a shining star parent! Big snaps from the teaching profession! :)

Emily said...

Thanks so much Leamonteach! It is so nice to hear your opinion and compliments... and so sad to hear that your efforts can go unaknowledged. You just put an extra bug in my ear to pay attention to things to be grateful of and make sure I say thanks...