Wednesday, April 22, 2009

a few Spring projects...

As I stated last post, (Curse you damn cake balls- I've been paying for you all week!), my friend Kim is traveling to India for about 2 months. In addition to the balls, I used Rae's pattern for the Buttercup Bag and made another "enlarged" version as a "going away" gift for her. I thought a fabric purse would be an easy thing to fold up and pack in a suitcase in case she wanted some variety while visiting India. I did hit her up to find me fun silky fabrics while there... can't wait til she comes back! We'll miss you Kimmy G - especially your little Griff man!

Here is her bag...

I went a little "wild" and tried out ric-rac as a trim. One side is better than the other, so obviously the good one became the front where I added 2 layers of vintage buttons...

Next up, I thought I'd post a picture of my new apron tree... that is what I'm calling it anyways. Truly, we marketed them as hot tub towel racks when Dave built these as Christmas gifts for some of our family this past year. Our own has been sitting unfinished in the garage for the past few months. I got a wild hair last weekend, painted it aqua, added the hooks and about 20 aprons and - voila! An Apron Tree! Oh -You'll see part of my new thrifted gingham tablecloth here as well.. but not the cute chicken scratch embroidery on it....maybe another day I'll snap some shots of how cute it is.

Last but not least- the night I made Kim's purse I was having a bad hair evening so I quickly whipped up the headband/headscarf from Weekend Sewing. I know - I have blogged a zillion headbands now, but it is a fun way to show off my favorite fabrics.
Sorry for the posey, badly lit, fuzzy photo. It is rather hard (READ: tedious...) to take pictures of yourself past midnight :) I'm not sad, or shy, really. Just tired!

So nighty night... I'm off to start packing for a week in Texas, and to finish downloading Marley and Me and Twilight to my iPod for the plane ride. I'm visiting family with the kiddies - Hooray! I am a bit sad that I did not finish (barely started) my Weekender Bag that was supposed to debut on this trip...and I may not get to another Spring Top before I leave on Friday. But... you know you are in for fun when you pack up fabric, patterns and sewing books to take with you on vacation! Maybe I'll eek out one more Spring Top from sunny Austin after all!

1 comment:

Karin said...

Hi --- I jumped over here from the Spring Top flickr pool and have been enjoying reading about your many projects but realized I hadn't left any comments anywhere yet. Love the purses, the shirts, the aprons (and their tree) and, mmmmmm, cake balls. Was just introduced to them last Christmas. Yours look so nice and springy. And tasty!!

OK, off to do a quick search on your blog for headbands -- I've been meaning to make some but need some inspiration. I'm sure I'll find some great ones among your "zillions." : )