Monday, March 30, 2009

pillowcase dress & a biggerbuttercup bag

OK, I know what you are thinking - and yes - I did it again. I re-purposed household linens into clothing for my daughter. Unlike last time, it seems a bit more socially acceptable this round. At least within the crafty sect, people have been making pillowcase dresses for ages. I've been hoarding pillowcase with dreams of making them into dresses for Rowan after seeing them all over the blog-o-sphere for about a year. I finally kicked myself in the butt this weekend(maybe because my sewing machine is so conveniently located in the entry way?) and used this tutorial and left over bias tape from this apron... and TA DA!

Isn't it cute? And easy...I have more visions of making her a zillion nightgowns (without the bows - maybe spaghetti straps) and swim suit cover ups for this summer. I'm not sure she'll cooperate and wear them all, but a girl can dream, right? Here is a close up of the neck and bias ties....

I must confess I let the kids watch 2 episodes of The Spectacular Spiderman while I cut out fabric tonight. I waited to sew til they were asleep though... but still feel guilty. I had a project that HAD to get done tonight. The reason - somewhat twofold. First, after making a few of Made by Rae's Buttercup bags, I have wanted to try making it a tad bit bigger. I saw on her flickr group that someone enlarged the pattern to 130% and they looked about right. The second (and real reason) for the last minute crafting was because I have a co-worker retiring tomorrow. She is a wonderful person and since she is always so chatty and inquisitive about my crafty endeavors, I wanted to make her a homemade gift. She is a fellow crafter - an avid knitter ..and has been my go-to real live person for my book-taught knitting skills (yes - or lack there of) this winter. I'll miss having her so readily available and encouraging! Here is the bag I made for her using Rae's pattern and enlarging all but the strap to 130%.

I used my left over stash of Amy Butler Lotus fabric and a vintage button from my stash. I hope she likes it!
Here is a shot next to my body to see the how the increase in sizing really looks. Please ignore the gray matchy matchy stretchy stretchy lounge wear. I had no idea it looked like it did until I saw the pictures... I think I've cropped everything scary out, but if not... sorry!!
Like my "Rosie the Riveter" pose?
I used my Sew What! Skirts book this weekend to make an A-line beauty that fits nice and I'm excited to wear... but I'll save that post for another day. I'm sleepy...and off to hit the hay! Well, after I finish the dishes, swap out the laundry and organize the back packs for tomorrow. Nighty night!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

ADORABLE!!! I can see Rosie in this with a mason jar full of fireflies at twilight...when can I shoot???!!!???