Friday, March 27, 2009

Dish Towel skirt - for reals...

I've seen dishtowels stretched into lots of different services of late. See here, here and here for my favorite examples. This might help explain why, when perusing the basement of my favorite Salvation Army, and finding the cutest dish towels EVER(that were, at the time and maybe still are?, currently available at Target for double the price) I immediately snatched up 3 of them. Oh, and a matching oven mitt, but that is beside the point. Here is a picture of the cute towel "before".

Honestly, I took this shot after the craft detailed below was done - when I wanted to show how cute the towels were starting out. This is truly a shot of Towel #3, the "faulty" towel that did not have a separated ruffle and had odd colors. The other 2 were normal, but this one actually did belong in the SA basement for 1/2 price...
It took a while to find the perfect role for these towels.. but I finally decided that they should be a skirt for Rowan. The ruffles were perfect - and the colors so springy and fun. So, although I felt a bit like Scarlet making a dress from curtains, I whipped this up for Miss Rowan last night.

To tell the truth, the first version of the skirt is not pictured here. The photo above is the re-vamped version due to her highness wanting it "shorter" and "not as puffy" on top. Turns out her mods made it much cuter! Fiddle Dee Dee...
How funny is this, BTW... while searching the net for a picture of the towels to link to (which I never found, which is why I had to take a picture of the "reject" towel above, which is... just kidding) I ran into this blog and found another savvy woman who made her daughters dishtowel skirts too! I guess the ruffles just screamed out "Skirt!" to both of us... great minds and all...

1 comment:

Mama Lusco said...

Great job! The skirt is adorable! I have dish towels with the same green box pleats...a pain to iron, but too adorable to resist :)