Sunday, March 22, 2009

Buttercup Bag and more headbands

I (and everyone else in crafty blog land) saw Made by Rae's Buttercup Bag a little while back. Immediately, I knew although I loved it, it could never be mine. Too dang small for this huge purse totin' mama. But ADORABLE. (And how fantastic that Rae posted the pattern for free? Amazingly generous crafty people out there.) While it could not be mine, it COULD very well be a birthday gift for my friend Jen. It was her birthday yesterday, and I threw this cutie together in about 2 hours. I (read) that others were whipping it up faster, but I'm still a bit of a rookie (when will I stop saying that?) and I interfaced the entire bag so it could have a nice stiff shape. Honestly, since I knew it was a gift, I probably spent more time than had it been for little old me too. She'll get this tomorrow at work, hopefully before she reads this blog post :)

Remember the headband I made Friday from Blue Bird Studio's tutorial? I decided Jen needed a headband for her birthday too. Oh, and I decided I needed another. Here is a picture of my first one (brown), hers (blue and smaller since she has a normal size head, not my big melon) and my new one (pink and white) to match my orange shirt for tomorrow. Yes - rather sad that I'm crafting the night before to wear something new to work...

This is a flattened view to show the hair binder sewed in. This provides the "stretch" and looks better than normal elastic.

Next up, for my mother and aunt, who are having a hard time envisioning my sewing armoire in the entry way, I took a few pictures today standing outside on the front stoop.
Here is the armoire opened up. Obviously this would not be an easy way to greet people to our humble abode. Lucky for me (?) I seldom have time to sew when there would be visitors arriving. (The tin on top is full of my vintage sheets and linens. Sneaky, huh?)
Here is the armoire closed up...how most would see it upon arriving. Yes Nancy, a lot of my "kitsch" is gone, but I'm thinking up ways to make it better. For now I'm just glad that the movement of furniture is done for a while...

That is all the craftiness I have in me to post today. I spent the majority of the day cleaning. Arg. Though I'm exhausted it feels good now to have it clean- and since I had the windows open all day the house smells amazing! Love the spring after a freezing cold winter. Despite the mud I know will begin to invade our house, it feels like we somehow made it through a rough time and are at the silver lining part. Yes - cheesy, but I guess the additional hour or so of sun I'm seeing each day is starting to rub off on me.

2 comments:

Karin said...

What a creative use of space! And you'd never know it was all there when it's closed up. Saw the next post shows assembly -- did you mention where the armoire came from? It looks fantastic...

Karin said...

Aah, should have spent two more seconds following the "craft armoire" link before I asked the question in my last comment... : )