Sunday, March 1, 2009

again with the Pleated Beauty...

Yep - 5th times a charm. And selfishly, this one is for me. I had ordered some fat quarters of Anna Marie Horner's Good Folks fabric. I love how fun and crazy the prints are - and how the line fits together - and yet doesn't. Does that make sense? They are not TOO matchy matchy. All that said (written?) I was hemming and hawing about what to build with the fabric - a fat quarter is really not that much of any one given fabric - when Dave of all people suggested I make myself a purse. He may have even said "make that one bag that you made that I liked". Helpful, isn't he? Of course I knew what one he was referring to, since I've made 4 others like it (see here and here for a few of them) - the Pleated Beauty from my trusty Bend the Rules Sewing book. So despite the fact that my list is long of things to make for others, I'm keeping this one. In fact, it is already all full of my normal purse stuff/paraphernalia and ready to be brought to work tomorrow. I love it. Sigh. For reals.


I modified things a smidge - mainly due to what has worked well for me in the past or what I've read that others have done. Here are my changes:
1) I added a magnetic clasp, 2) I narrowed the bag a bit due to the fact that I was working mainly with Fat Quarters of fabric, 3) like last time, I did not pleat the lining... I just trimmed it up to fit perfectly inside, 4) I doubled the flannel facing inside, since the thrifted fabric lining is a thin shiny fabric that was not very sturdy, 5) I added an extra pocket inside the bag and divided it for my phone and 6) I modified the straps - pretty much winged them - they are longer and thinner than the pattern calls for and I lined them with flannel inside.
Here are the pockets and the inside...

5 comments:

Thudin said...

Emily - I'm liking your new purse - might be time to make your mom one??

Denean said...

Wow! I saw your purse on Angry Chicken's BTRS flickr group. This is the coolest Pleated Beauty Bag I've ever seen! Well done. I assume you pieced together the different fat quarter fabrics. I just might have to try that. :D

kate said...

Hi; found you via the Good Folks (Anna Maria Horner) flickr page...came to learn more about that gorgeous Pleated Beauty bag.

I am curious about the layout of your blog. How on earth did you get that awesome background (and the flower on the side)using BLOGGER?! I'd love to know your tricks. :)

Denean said...

I second Kate! If you're sharing tips on your blog layout, etc., I'd love to know them too. Awesome!

Emily said...

I found the blog background here....http://shelsscraps.blogspot.com/. She has a ton of them and many are free. I can take no credit except for loving aqua and brown :)