Sunday, February 15, 2009

Last Hula Apron and Black Apple Doll

Since we have Monday off of work and school around here, I opted to not clean today and sew instead. Partially this was also due to delaying until the last minute the apron I promised my Mom she'd have in time for her trip to Maui. I'm obviously a slave to procrastination!

Here is my mom's apron. I copied the fantastic one I received from Katy from a past Sassy Apron Swap. I traced it on tissue paper and winged it a bit. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - though the bias tape got a bit wonky and the corners and circles got a bit difficult. All good though... hope she likes it.


As another sign of my ability to procrastinate, I ran to Kinkos/FedEx on Saturday and printed off all the tutorials I have saved the past year. What was the rush? Well, I wanted to make the Black Apple Doll from the Martha site. I'm such a fan of Emily from the Inside a Black Apple blog. Her artwork and dolls are adorable. Plus her name rocks :)

Here is the Black Apple Doll I made Rowan. Rowan named her Rosie... while she is not perfect, she is bound to be well loved.

Her dress is a vintage hankie my mom picked up at a garage sale for me, and the scarf is strategically placed to cover up her kooky neck :)

I had read a great piece of advice (on the Sew Mama Sew forum) to draw on the fabric and sew the arms and legs first and then cut them out. This worked well - and I can't imagine having to turn them if they had been any skinnier. She is cuddling up with Miss Row right this very minute! Guess that is a sign of a successful day of crafting.

No comments: