Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hi I'm Emily and I'm a late swapper...

I'm pretty embarrassed. I must have mixed up my swaps, because I was sure I had until next Monday to get my final apron swap of the year done and out the door. So, feeling somewhat smug and proud of myself for being early, I found the email with my swap partners information, and read a bit further to see that the due date was Monday Dec 1. Yep, 2 days ago. I know it is not a big deal to most y'all, but I feel plenty bad. If you are my partner, I am very VERY sorry. I beg your forgiveness! It is all packaged sitting by the door ready to go out in tomorrows mail, I cross my heart...

The theme to this swap (Sassy Apron Swap, btw was to make an apron - full or 1/2 - and we needed to include a cookie recipe and cookie cutter. I went with my favorite Christmas cookie ever - Chocolate Mint Dreams - as my inspiration. Well, scratch that, my intention was to use this cookie as an inspiration. I got some mint hot cocoa and chocolate mint truffles to accompany the apron - but could not find fabric I liked with both mint green and chocolate brown. Then, turns out, my partners preferences indicated she was not a fan of pastels, so I was a bit stumped. What to do? Well, I changed it up a bit - did chocolate brown and aqua - not pastel, right? I still went with the theme being minty chocolate dreams though. Maybe I can pretend I'm color blind, right BL?

So, the next hurdle, I fell in love with the Kaleidoscope (or Obi) apron from the book A is for Apron. I first thought, "Pin tucks, how odd... and why so high waisted?". Then it started to dawn on me that an apron that covers nearly up to the "chestal" region makes a ton of sense. How often do I get messy in that exact area when washing dishes?? And the pin tucks really grew on me. So much so that each and every time I opened the book, this was the apron that I felt a burning desire to make. I went and had the pattern (included as a page in the book in mini size) enlarged at Kinkos to the appropriate size, but not until after wasting tons of paper before I realized my printer was not capable of separating the copy into multiple pages. All was good until the hem did not match/fit. Then I was required to do some improvising. And it is not lined and does not really address how to make it "pretty" on the inside. So I winged that too. Turns out a few others out in cyber land have had issues with some of the editing that occurred in the making of this book - the patterns are not perfect, the directions a bit jumpy and not detailed, and few, if any, picture aids. Does this mean I will not try more of the aprons in the book? No - 'cause I love them, but I will honestly try to read through the entire directions a few times and may even consent to a muslin. (Ack - hate that though. Seems like you expect to fail.) Oh, and Pin tucks - let's talk about them. Not difficult to do - but tedious and messy. Lots of strings requiring cutting off when all is said and done. I love them... they made this apron, in my opinion. Hope my partners likes it (and is not sad/mad it is late!! Sorry again!).

Here is the picture from book....

And here is my version. Think Chocolate Mint Dreams.... right? Pretend the aqua is mint for me, k?

This is a close up of the pin tuck Obi belt. Yep - I'm now a raging fan. What else could I do with one of these??


And buttons that were found in the antique sewing machine that I was gifted from my step dad. Pretty sure they are vintage, if not antique!


Oops - accidentally submitted first without pictures - sorry those on the feed....

3 comments:

hm said...

Hi Emily~~~

It's gorgeous and thank you so much for all your work. It's minty chocolate to me, you shouldn't have said anything!!!
It's perfect and everything else you included is yummy and cute!

So thank you, thank you, soooooooo much.

oxox ~~~ Holly

PS: I didn't think it was late at all.

Katy said...

Hi Emily, i'm your secret apron giver for the Sassy Apron swap! I have been patient, checking your blog to see if it has arrived but i am now worried that it won't arrive before Christmas, and i'm sad :-( I hope you receive it this week and if not i'm really sorry, i should have given it more time to travel all the way from Australia. Sorry Emily...

I LOVE YOU said...

走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,性愛自拍,美女寫真,亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,三級片,自拍,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,聊天室