The swap dictated (in addition to a fall sassy apron) an oven mitt or hot pad as well - so I reconstructed a kitchen towel into a pad/mitt with a bit of ruffle to match the apron. Honestly, I was more scared of the hot pad requirements, since I've never done something like this. I have a pattern for a quilted hot pad in one of my books, but my partner is a true quilter, and I did not think my rookie attempt to quilt should be done for this swap. So, the mitt itself was designed using one of my own oven mitts as a loose pattern. Nothing great of fancy, and I just noticed that it looks (and is) a bit wonky and crooked in this picture- but it is practical and hopefully will actually protect a hand from heat:)
I'm pleased with how much easier this Swap was for me, and how the apron actually went together. I'm getting a bit quicker and straighter in my stitches - and I think I'm understanding my machine better as well. I'm glad I didn't risk a new homemade pattern on a swap, but I do plan on making my own version of Great Aunt Mary Ann's apron in the next few weeks! I'll be sure to make it plenty Sassy!