Friday, July 18, 2008

lots of lavender

I did not mean to post these pics together - it looks like I'm a pastelly/lavender type of girl, when truly I am not. Just happen to have 2 projects I wanted to blog on that used the same fabric. I found the fabric at my favorite fabric outlet, and instantly thought of my daughter who likes all things girly. Later,when looking for enough fabric to try a new patter, I realized I had enough of it to try and would not be "wasting" anything I loved. So, the top was made last week. Today, after breaking 3 needles trying to finish the 4 cut out SMS totes I have to make, I needed a quick success, so used the rest of the fabric for a Smocket for Rowan.


First up- Smocket. Found this site with a free pattern for a smock with a pocket (get it? Smocket?) I changed it up a bit: Since the pattern was a 2T, I played with it a bit to make it a 5 for Rowan. This went well except I had a bit too much fabric in the collar/neck. I made it reversible, sewing pockets to the two layers before sewing them together. Instead of tying the shoulders, I stitched buttons on both sides permanently closing them. It cris crosses in the back and is pretty open-very summery and cute. (Why is she by the guitar? Don't know - hard to understand the inner working of the mind of a 5 year old.)




Second, the top. I have been meaning to make my littlest sister a top. She liked the Lotus tunic I made, so I was looking for something similar, but easier (Ok - read "less time consuming"). I opted to use this fabric to try for a muslin of Simplicity 2962. This one, I'm not so happy with, and am glad I tried on this lavender fabric first. I don't think quilting cotton was the best fabric option for this top. I tried it on and even with the tie in the back, I looked pregnant and odd. Next, I had a friend with a much larger chest try it for me, and while she looked better, the front portion puffed from her chest too and was not very flattering. I think jersey would be a better fabric for this one - or I could give it to a pregnant friend :)


4 comments:

jb said...

where is my photo credit on your profile pic,

sara said...

Oh! I've been so wanting to try the smocket, and yours turned out so cute. This might be the little push I needed. Great work!

Emily said...

I must have forgotten to give you credit Jake - I was not sure who actually took the family beach pic! Nice to know you are back safe and sound from Mexico...

Lil D said...

Your smocket turned out so cute. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like how the top turned out, as it sure looks cute on the hanger!