I did not mean to post these pics together - it looks like I'm a pastelly/lavender type of girl, when truly I am not. Just happen to have 2 projects I wanted to blog on that used the same fabric. I found the fabric at my favorite fabric outlet, and instantly thought of my daughter who likes all things girly. Later,when looking for enough fabric to try a new patter, I realized I had enough of it to try and would not be "wasting" anything I loved. So, the top was made last week. Today, after breaking 3 needles trying to finish the 4 cut out SMS totes I have to make, I needed a quick success, so used the rest of the fabric for a Smocket for Rowan.
First up- Smocket. Found this site with a free pattern for a smock with a pocket (get it? Smocket?) I changed it up a bit: Since the pattern was a 2T, I played with it a bit to make it a 5 for Rowan. This went well except I had a bit too much fabric in the collar/neck. I made it reversible, sewing pockets to the two layers before sewing them together. Instead of tying the shoulders, I stitched buttons on both sides permanently closing them. It cris crosses in the back and is pretty open-very summery and cute. (Why is she by the guitar? Don't know - hard to understand the inner working of the mind of a 5 year old.)
Second, the top. I have been meaning to make my littlest sister a top. She liked the Lotus tunic I made, so I was looking for something similar, but easier (Ok - read "less time consuming"). I opted to use this fabric to try for a muslin of Simplicity 2962. This one, I'm not so happy with, and am glad I tried on this lavender fabric first. I don't think quilting cotton was the best fabric option for this top. I tried it on and even with the tie in the back, I looked pregnant and odd. Next, I had a friend with a much larger chest try it for me, and while she looked better, the front portion puffed from her chest too and was not very flattering. I think jersey would be a better fabric for this one - or I could give it to a pregnant friend :)