Friday, July 11, 2008

freezer paper stencils

I've seen this craft on a gazillion crafty blogs and knew I wanted to do it with the kids someday. I picked up some freezer paper, fabric paints and a couple of T's for the wee ones a while back. I think it was over a month ago. Tonight, I found my exacto (sp??) knife (didn't know I had one, actually) and decided it was time to build these. Griffin was not interested in participating (busy watching Indiana Jones), but Rowan drew 3 of the 4 stencils for me. The 4th was just a stencil "G" that I had in an alphabet set. Rowan chose her paint colors - which explains the metallic paint on both her shirts. She also did some of the painting for her T's though I'm a terrible perfectionist and jumped in when she was done to fill in the holes and gaps...

Both of us were thrilled with this project. It was fun and easy - with some pretty quick gratification. You really just cut out the stencil on the papery side of the freezer paper, iron it onto your t shirt (I ironed another piece behind so that the paint didn't run through), and then paint with fabric paint. Easy peasy! Now I'm excited to go through both kids' closets looking for thing with stains (shouldn't be that hard to find) to cover with our new stencil technique!

Here are the first two - Rowan designed her own house stencil, and we did a "G" for Grif. He says it is for Gryffindor house in Harry Potter. OK... sure it is, if that makes him wear it.


Here is a close up of Rowan's house - see the glitter paint? (how could you not with the glare on my pic?) She was so proud of the chimney smoke and the stairs.

Rowan drew this monster for Griffin's shirt, and a similar one for her own. Before...

Here is the drawing on the shirt - After!

2 little monsters seems appropriate stencils for my monsters!


1 comment:

Brooke said...

LOVE them, can't wait to try them out myself!